Sunday, July 13, 2008

Juice: Not a health food!

As I was reading the health section of Rueters today, I found myself thinking, "no duh?" This is in reference to a new study that they just concluded on type 2 diabetes. They have concluded that the consumption of juice is linked to an increase in type 2 diabetes, while the consumption of whole fruit was linked to a decrease. This news, of course, came as a surprise to the nurse's group that was performing the study. The conclusion: since the juice is liquid, it is absorbed quicker into the blood stream that the actual fruit. Wow, what a statement.
I'm not trying to bash the individuals who performed the study. I think it is great that they found a correlation to juice and diabetes, simply for the reason that maybe, just maybe, they might be willing to consider that juice is not a substitute for fruit.
Now I know some of you might be thinking, "but what about 100% fruit juice?" Well, the sad truth, in many ways, it is no better for you than pop or soda or whatever else you want to call it. I'll pause and let this information settle in. How did I come to this conclusion.
Click play for a video, or read on.


I used to be a juice-a-holic, true confession. I drank countless glasses a day. I encountered some health problems and had to go off all sugar, including fruit sugar just for a short while, and then the truth search began. When you eat a piece of fruit, there is fiber, vitamins and minerals in the skin and flesh. If you were to squeeze the fruit to make juice, it wouldn't be clear, it would be, chuddy, but it would still have all of it's fiber, vitamins, and minerals intact. When you buy juice at the store, it is clear, pasturized, and then bottled. Why does this matter?
Clear=strained and clarified=no fiber. No fiber=quick absorption of sugar uptake=insulin overload.
Pasturized=heating to a min of 180 degrees at least once and usually four times. Why? this kills any and everything in it, and I mean everything. Many vitamins and minerals are heat sensitive. Once they are heated they are killed, like vitamin "C."
The end product: Sugar water with the essence of the fruit devoid of nutritional value.
Then why does the label say "100% vitamin C in every serving?" That is a wonderful question, and I will get to it in another post:)

No comments: