Wednesday, June 25, 2008

toddler teething: mommy needs a soother.


Have you ever wondered what a mommy soother would look like? In my mind it is an unearthly sized chocolate bar with my name on it that I can bit on and bit on until it is all gone or my "troubles" have gone away. Not that I am condoning eating for comfort during stressful days with kids, but wouldn't it be nice if that is all you needed?


Noah, who is 18months in a few days, has begun his trials of cutting his 2 top teeth. I know some of you are probably thinking, he is still on his 2 top teeth? Yes, that is right. He only has 2 teeth that are fully in. So, he isn't a kid that has had to deal with much oral pain, and now I am getting to see what so many other mothers talk about, the teething tears. I'll let you decide whether I am referring to Noah's tears or my own.


After 3 days of him refusing to nap/eat/play/or be pleasant, I hit my limit. I couldn't take Noah's teething any more. Then I thought to myself, the irony of this statement is rich! I can take "his" teething, as if I was the one who was cutting his tooth in my mouth. Well, we all know this isn't the case, but somehow it feels that way. My child's disposition has been, hum, shall we say slightly to moderately, ok, extremely ornery, and somehow, my disposition has gone with his.


I'm the one who is supposed to be the mature one in this relationship, and yet I find myself following my son's example when something is bothering him. I am complaining and miserable, and yet I am frustrated with Noah for complaining, crying and being miserable.


I wonder is this is how the Lord views us from time to time? I am being no different from Noah right now in my handling of the circumstance. And I thought I was mature. Well, guess not. I guess you could say I still have a long way to go in my refining process as a mother. Instead of loving him in his need, I am asking him to love me. How backwards.


Here's to hoping that tomorrow my attitude is different and I am able to love my son in his weakness.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Here's a clue: The tendency you've identified, if unrecognized and unchecked, will grow with your family. How many times we catch ourselves, in a household of five adults where teething is ancient history, piling on the one who's "relational performance" is less than perfect rather than practicing the soft words that turn away anger and the genuine love that covers, rather than points out and demands repentance for, that multitude of sins!

God is good. He keeps putting us through the cycle of relational training until we begin to see life from His perspective. But why does it take so long? He is certainly more patient and committed to the process than I am!